Logistics Associate (Port Operations) – G 6 Fixed Term Appointment (131963)
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
The selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the direct supervision of the National Logistics Officer (Port), the Logistics Associate (Port Operations) will perform the following duties:
- Support logistics projects and port operational day-to-day activities following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
- Contribute towards the development of country supply chain plans and processes ensuring compliance with wider logistics policies and WFP standards.
- Contribute to the consolidation and planning of shipments, and to the management of operational aspects of all chartered and/or liner vessels, cargoes, calling Dar port including checking document readiness, loading and discharging operations and technical advising to Country Office on contracting services of stevedoring, superintendent, customs agents and land transport as applicable.
- Contribute to strengthening the supply chain by providing technical support and guidance on port related issues to other services, and Country Offices, particularly for emergency response.
- Contribute to the collection and analysis of data through market analysis, research and networking in the logistics industry, and contribute to recommendations for improvement of port operations.
- Collect data and contribute to Country Office in preparation of accurate and timely reporting, including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), supporting a WFP-wide view of port activities that enables informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Build and maintain effective partnership with supply chain stakeholders including the government and commercial sector, and staff within thge area of assignment to support efficient port operations.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners, including the government and private sector, for efficient and effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries (i.e. through contribution to the training materials).
- Participate in the on-going review of internal processes and procedures and identify ways to increase the day-to-day efficiency of the port operations and teams.
- Identify and build productive relationships with logistics colleagues and staff within the area of assignment to support an integrated approach to food assistance
- Follow emergency logistics preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Where supervisory responsibilities apply, adhere to WFP standard performance management guidelines and practices to contribute to achieving service objectives and to promote staff learning and development
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: University degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Business Management or equivalent, with additional years of port work experience and/or training/courses.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- At least 5 years of experience in logistics planning, prioritization and execution of plans, including arranging logistics supplier deliveries, loading and discharging operations of cargo ships under charter and liner cargos.
- Experience in coordinating port service providers’ contract execution.
- Experience in monitoring and reporting on port, and freight market conditions and trends.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Proven ability to communicate a clear vision and inspire, motivate and coach a team to achieve outstanding performance.
- Effective communication, stakeholder management and influencing skills.
MODE OF APPLICATION
The position number and title stated in this advertisement should be clearly indicated in the application.
Applications should be sent with a detailed CV to: tan[email protected]
The application deadline is 17 December 2020
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service