Job Title: Country Representative, Tanzania**
Level: 3 Manager
Location: Dar es Salaam
The Country Representative oversees and provides technical and strategic direction to CWS country program. This includes formulation of the country strategy, program development and administration, and development of the annual plan in collaboration with CWS Regional Office in Nairobi Kenya. Other key areas of responsibility include stakeholder management, resource mobilization, finance, human resources, and development of new, and nurturing of existing, CWS partnerships, and identification of opportunities for CWS program growth and expansion.
The Country Representative reports directly to the CWS Regional Representative for Africa, with day to day supervision delegated to the RSC Director and the RDP Director in accordance with relevant portfolios. The Country Representative, Tanzania directly supervises the Head of Office Kasulu, the RDP Program Manager, the Security Risk Manager, and the Finance and Administration Officer.
Essential Duties *in coordination with the CWS Africa Regional Office
Program Management **
- Oversees long-range strategic planning, programmatic direction and growth.
- Develops a country program plan with the Regional Office in Nairobi Kenya and in coordination with relevant CWS HQ units, defines the programmatic and fundraising efforts and develops proposals and concept notes for the Tanzania country program.
- Provides strategic leadership and direct oversight to CWS Africa activities in Tanzania.
- Develops annual/monthly projections that inform CWS priorities and plays a key role in annual strategy review of the Tanzanian country program.
- Leads, guides and supervises the program coordinators, program managers and project officers on planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the projects to ensure the effective and efficient execution of project deliverables.
- Manages human resources activities.
- Oversees the use of the budget and monitors effective and appropriate use of resources across departments.
- Develops, coordinates, and manages stakeholder engagement to ensure quality implementation and expansion of CWS programs.
Administration and Finance
- In coordination with the Regional Office in Nairobi, Kenya, develops, proposes and monitors the annual budget for all CWS activities in Tanzania
- Provides leadership to ensure good stewardship of financial resources and CWS assets in Tanzania and participates in annual financial audits.
- Ensures that administrative policies support the accountability, transparency, and efficiency of CWS and comply with all donor requirements and CWS policies.
- Works with the Regional Human Resources Manager to identify and implement innovative and effective approaches that ensure high performance and well-being among the staff.
- Ensure CWS complies with laws and regulations of Tanzania and that all program and administrative functions strictly adhere to the programmatic and administrative policies, guidelines and procedures and national and regional government and donor requirements.**
Representation and External Relations
- Represents CWS with government, intergovernmental, civil society and faith-based partners, stakeholders and forums and cultivates new relationships relevant to CWS programs and strategies.**
- Develops the country program communication strategy, establishes and maintains effective communication systems with the Regional Office in Nairobi Kenya, Tanzania country program staff, donors, partners and all other internal and external stakeholders.**
- Ensures CWS staff are professional when representing CWS to beneficiaries, partners, funders, colleagues and the community.**
- Oversees the supervision, mentoring and leadership of the staff including yearly performance evaluations, monitoring professional development, training needs and coordinating leave. **
- Ensures establishment and communication of performance expectations and performance management systems and oversees on-boarding and training.**
- Maintains accurate and current job descriptions for the Tanzanian country program.**
- Serves as the primary point of contact for all responses regarding security or emergency health crises that may arise, in conjunction with the CWS Staff Safety and Security Coordinator, Regional Representative, RSC Africa Director, RDP Director and the CWS Headquarters.
- Ensures the well-being of staff is maintained at all times by providing a safe, healthy and professional work environment and upholding open door and escalation policies.
- Establishes and communicates clear expectations of staff to foster a predictable, safe and consistent work environment.
This position also undertakes other duties as assigned by CWS Africa Management.
· Bachelor’s Degree in a related field required.
· Master’s Degree preferred.
· 10 years’ work experience is required.
· 5 years of direct supervisory experience with responsibility for hiring, evaluating performance, administering corrective action and directing day to day work is required.
· Demonstrated management experience with an International Non-Governmental Organization required, community development and or refugee affairs preferred
· Experience developing and implementing country level strategies and ability to develop successful proposals for donors
· Previous experience working with Church World Service and WRAPS knowledge is preferred.**
· Thorough knowledge and comprehensive understanding of the US funding and US funded programs.
· Ability to lead projects to completion on time, in compliance with donor requirements, within budget, and with the anticipated results.
· Advanced computer knowledge, specifically with MS Access, MS Outlook, MS Excel and other statistical analysis programs.
- Strong English communication skills, both oral and written fluency in the local national language will be an advantage.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent report-generation skills with the ability to understand, process and document information for a variety of audiences.
- Strong supervisory skills and understanding of performance management systems.
· Excellent organizational and time management skills.
· Knowledge of budgeting and budget processes.
This position is open to both National and International candidates.
Tanzanians are strongly encouraged to apply.