Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Project outputs include:
Social media channels that provide a space for young people to interact with each other and share their thoughts on important issues
Capacity-building with young professionals from five regions across Tanzania
Collaborative partnerships with national media organisations who broadcast the Niambie radio programme.
About the role
Reporting to the senior producer, the Videographer / Graphic Designer will be responsible for filming, editing and creating innovative visual content, ensuring that our online output is of the highest creative and editorial standards and serves the needs of our diverse young audiences.
S/he will be expected to come up with visual creative story ideas and treatments for Niambie’s social media platforms. The successful candidate will also be expected to stay up-to-date with new camera and editing technologies, be willing to experiment with new online graphic creation software and propose ideas to ensure Niambie remains at the forefront of online content creation.
The Videographer / Graphic Designer will be directly responsible for managing all the project’s visual productions including regularly filming and editing videos, designing and producing infographics and taking/editing photographs to a high standard for use on our digital platforms. The role requires strong editorial skills and a firm grasp of Tanzania’s new online content regulations.
The successful candidate will be expected to work independently to a high standard and be capable of making decisions about content and formats without supervision. This is a new role within the Niambie team and candidates will be expected to propose ways in which the post can help to strengthen Niambie’s digital output and grow our digital audiences.
- Originating and delivering high-quality video and pictures for original digital content
- Liaising with producers, research and project staff in content planning meetings and production
- Checking digital content and visual materials for publication to ensure they are accurate, legally sound and comply with the BBC’s editorial standards and child protection policy
- Filming and editing of still photos and video
- Attending events for reporting purposes as assigned
- Supporting young professionals to pitch stories and create content for Niambie social media channels
- Working with the research team to gather and analyse online interactions and sharing information with the production team
- Travelling outside Dar to gather content and support the radio production team
- Developing a robust strategy for increasing Niambie’s digital reach and audience engagement
- Developing and pitching creative story ideas
- Working with radio producers to find and utilise the most effective ways of cross-promoting stories
- Monitoring Niambie’s social media platforms and escalating potential editorial/moderation issues where appropriate
- Maintaining a logical workflow and sticking to deadlines
- Keeping across new and emerging social media trends and sharing new ideas with the production team and management
- Maintaining a digital library that can be used across productions and accessed by other teams in the organisation
- Shooting and editing videos and photographs for use on Niambie online platforms
- Sharing social media comments and insights with the research team
- Good communications skills and technical knowledge
- Degree or diploma in journalism, mass communication or related field
- Minimum of five years’ experience in online content gathering, journalism or mass communication – experience of creating content for social media is desirable
- Knowledge of radio production and sound editorial judgment
- Excellent English and Swahili writing skills
- Good computer skills – ability to use audio/video editing software preferred
- A good understanding of audio and visual production and post-production techniques
- Creative flair, with strong writing skills and the ability to structure a narrative
- A willingness to experiment with new technologies to create compelling, high-quality digital content with minimal supervision
- Experience of working independently and within a team
- A good understanding of managing an online production process to deliver content on time and to budget
- Highly organised, with a proven ability to prioritise, manage a workload and deadlines and maintain attention to detail
- Experience working in a development or related setting
- Proven ability to multitask
MODE OF APPLICATION
Candidates should send their CV and a cover letter (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role in English by email to: [email protected]
Please use the title of the position applied for in the subject line and submit by 5pm (Tanzania time) on Sunday 28th June, 2020. Videographer / Graphic Designer Job At BBC Media Action