Job Title: Research and Policy Specialist
Duties and responsibilities
Manage research and policy team
- Oversee the development of the operational plans for the department as a part of the institutes planning. Ensure that the plans facilitate the achievement of the strategic objectives established in the Institute’s strategy.
- Lead the process of conceptualization and implementation of the various activities of the department (policy forums/dialogues, action research, technical assistance, information sharing).
- Ensure that the department promotes gender equality in its operations.
- Represent the Institution in various events and platforms.
- Ensure timely quality reporting of the department’s activities in line with the Institute’s reporting processes.
- Budgeting for the departments work and follow up on financial implementation.
- Contribute to the resource mobilisation of the Institute.
Provide advisory and technical support on the strategic direction of the Institute
- Contribute to the management and strategic direction of the Institute as a key member of the management team.
- Ensure that the department’s activities are in line with and support the implementation of all other areas of work of the institute.
- Provide guidance and support the CEO in his interactions with key stakeholders of the Institute.
Coordinate department’s activities (action research, policy forums, advisory services, etc.) while ensuring quality and relevance
- Coordinate studies and research activities including conceptualization, outsourcing and quality assurance.
- Prepare concept notes for studies, policy forums and dialogues.
- Preparation ofTORs for external facilitators, researchers and consultants.
- Work closely with external consultants and stakeholders to ensure high-quality and policy relevant outputs.
- Prepare presentations and speeches for various stakeholders including specialist and non-specialist audiences.
Networking with the Institute’s stakeholders and resource mobilization activities
- Nurture and build relationships with public sector institutions in order to identify current government priorities to strategic entry points for the Institute.
- Nurture and establish relationships with development partners and other relevant actors to achieve collaboration, cooperation and alliances on programme development and implementation, and resource mobilization.
- Provide substantive input to the development and implementation of the Institute’s resource mobilization strategy.
- Provide input to advocacy and public communication strategies.
Manage personnel under supervision
- Supervise, coach and guide personnel.
- Ensure a common vision aligned with the Institute’s strategic plan is shared among the team.
- Create an enabling work environment and promote team work.
- Identify learning and development opportunities.
- Leadership – ability to persuade others to follow.
- Leadership – ability to persuade others to follow.
- People management – ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Team management – ability to create common vision and well-functioning teams.
- Communication – ability to listen, persuade and transform.
- Delivery – ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Stakeholders Management – ability to manage multiple stakeholders and balance often contradictory expectations, building and maintaining relationships.
- Inspiration – ability to inspire colleagues and partners to be innovative and explore ways to do things differently.
- Collaboration and Partnerships – ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships.
- Programme Management – ability to formulate, implement and monitor.
- Operational Management – ability to develop plans, budgets and concept notes and deliver on them.
- Analytical Skills – ability to understand complex situations, good understanding of political economy.
- Results-based Management – ability to link implementation of plans to achieving results.
- Research Management – capacity to identify and manage studies and research. Capacity to substantially contribute to undertaking research.
- Contract Management – ability to manage and oversee outsourced research and other assignments.
- Networking Skills – ability to network with public sector leaders in the highest levels, development partners and private sector representatives.
- Advisory Skills – ability to facilitate advisory services.
- Writing Skills – capacity to tailor and deliver messages in writing in a concise manner.
- Coordination Skills – ability to coordinate implementation of activities (events, forums, assignments).
- Communication – ability to effectively communicate intensions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders.
- Team Building – ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals.
- Master’s degree in social sciences or relevant field. PhD in social sciences or relevant field is an asset.
- 10 years of relevant experience with 8 years in a management position.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Proven track record of partnership building and resource mobilization.
- Solid communication skills and excellent networking skills.
- Fluency in English and Swahili.
- Past experience in writing or coordinating studies, reports articles and research management.
- Experience in linking research/studies, policy and programming.
- Capacity to manage teams and programmes.
- Good understanding of Tanzanian structures and political economy.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their application, comprising of:
- Brief statement on the related or similar work as above.
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae with contact details for three referees.
- Copy of your latest write-up.
- Copies of certificates.
Above to be submitted to the following address:
Chief Executive Officer
62 Msasani Road, Oyster Bay
P.O. Box 105753, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Phone: +255 (0) 22 260 2917
OR through Email [email protected] with subject line “RESEARCH & POLICY SPECIALIST”.
Deadline for Receiving Applications: July 12th, 2020.
UONGOZI Institute is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.