Tanzania Education Corp (TEC), a Boston-based NGO, has supported the Tumaini Schools in northern Tanzania since 2008. Tumaini Schools operate three private, English-language, non-profit schools with a combined enrollment of 1100 students. The preschool and primary school are located in Karatu, two and a half hours from Arusha. The secondary school, Tumaini Senior, is located in Makuyuni, an hour west of Arusha. The oldest of the schools, Tumaini Junior, is a K-7 school, opened in 2004, and its graduates consistently rank in the top 1% among Tanzania’s over 15,000 schools primary schools. All the schools recruit primarily from families residing in the local area. TEC raises funds for major school construction projects at all three campuses and provides financial aid to Tumaini students through its Sponsorship Program. TEC has also supported the development of libraries, computer labs and special courses.
Job Position: Sponsorship Director
TEC is looking for a full-time Sponsorship Director to join our team based in Karatu. Main responsibilities include managing donor/student relationships with over 130 student sponsors, tracking sponsored students’ academic progress, coordinating and conducting visitor day tours and providing content for social media (facebook, instagram and enewsletter). The position requires strong interpersonal skills, attention to detail and the ability to work across all levels of the organization.
- Work one-on-one with 130+ sponsored students to write formal letters to sponsors twice a year in May and November as well as facilitating more casual correspondence between students and sponsors.
- Track students academic progress through teacher input and record progress in database
- Photograph events and activities and provide written content for social media and website team in US.
- Work 1- 2 days a week in Tumaini Junior School library, sometimes on weekends
- Facilitate visitor tours (sometimes at the very last minute) primarily to the Junior School and cultivate donor relationships through follow up emails. The job is intense during tour season, June to Sept, but then more relaxed. There is a lot of email correspondence.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in East Africa is a plus.
- Highly collaborative style; ability to create relationships with staff, volunteers, and people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Must be willing and able to adapt to Tanzania’s culture
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Sincere commitment to TEC mission
- A one-year commitment, with arrival date in Karatu, Tanzania mid-February 2020. This commitment can be extended upon mutual agreement.
- $500 a month stipend deposited into a US bank account on the last day of every month. TEC views you as an independent contractor and, as a result, you are responsible for all taxes owed (including Social Security, Medicare, federal and state income taxes).
- Work visa fees paid by TEC.
- Reimbursement for all out-of-pocket expenses related to TEC, paid monthly.
- Rent, utilities (includes internet and a local phone) and housekeeper for a two bedroom house with Western toilet and shower to be shared. Own bedroom. Food is not included but lunch is available at the schools.
- Two one way tickets from your home to Kilimanjaro Airport in Arusha, not to exceed a total of $2,000 USD
- Shared Apple laptop for TEC business; we encourage you to bring your own for personal use.
- Three weeks of paid vacation excluding June-September
- Does not include costs of immunizations
If interested in applying, please send resume and cover letter to Carol Hall at [email protected]