Work for the IMF. Work for the World.
The Monetary and Capital Markets Department (MCM) of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) is seeking an experienced expert to work as Resident Advisor on Financial Sector Supervision at AFRITAC East (AFE) in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. AFE covers Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania (including Zanzibar), and Uganda.
The advisor will help identify and address the capacity development—technical assistance and training—needs of AFE member countries in financial sector supervision, taking account of the individual countries’ differing levels of supervisory effectiveness. The advisor’s primary work will be in bank supervision and regulation, including such areas as licensing, on-site supervision, off-site monitoring and cybersecurity security supervision tools, and establishing an effective legal and regulatory framework for conducting those activities. The secondary area of work for the advisor will be advice on the supervision and regulation of insurance and nonbank financial institutions.
This is a one-year contractual position, which is renewable for up to a maximum of five years subject to budget availability and satisfactory performance. The expert will be resident in Dar es Salaam, with extensive regional travel as deemed necessary by the approved work plan and as requested by the authorities with prior consultation with MCM.
To promote knowledge transfer and facilitate sustainability, the advisor will also coordinate activities closely with the relevant AFE staff. The main duties of the advisor will be to:
- Prepare the financial sector supervision workplan (in the areas of banking supervision and the supervision of insurance and nonbank financial institutions) for the AFE Steering Committee meeting under the supervision of the MCM back-stoppers and the Center’s Coordinator and in collaboration with country authorities.
- Manage and deliver the workplan to AFE members directly and through peripatetic or short-term experts (who would be backstopped by the Advisor) while ensuring that the recommendations are proportionate to the nature of the activities, size, and complexity of the local financial system.
- Organize events such as training, workshops, seminars or secondments for AFE member countries.
- In consultation with MCMFR, coordinate with the IMF AFR country teams and resident representatives on the TA program and, as appropriate, brief on reforms recommended by the Fund.
- Prepare results frameworks (logframes) to design and deliver TA in line with the Fund’s Results-Based Management (RBM) framework. Discuss and agree with authorities on the outcomes and milestones expected from TA. Use the Capacity Development Management and Administration Program (CDMAP) system to track and update TA results.
- Conduct outreach activities in line with AFR’s/AFE’s strategy.
- As required by the Center Coordinator, contribute to AFE’s corporate work (e.g., annual report, quarterly newsletters, social media outreach).
The ideal candidate should have at least 7 years of relevant experience in a financial sector supervisory agency and in-depth understanding of international standards for banking and experience of their implementation at national level. In addition, experience in insurance and nonbank regulation and supervision issues would be desirable.
Other qualifications include:
- A graduate degree in economics, finance, accounting, or a related area.
- An excellent command of English (oral and written).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work as part of a team, including other long-term and short-term experts; to maintain effective and cooperative relations with national authorities (including senior government officials) and donors; and to handle sensitive issues with discretion in a multicultural environment;
- Willingness to work remotely and/or undertake significant travel within the region as and when required in line with IMF restrictions.
Compensation and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with the successful candidate’s skills and experience.
MCMTA Monetary and Capital Markets Dept. Technical Assistance Strategy
The last day to apply to this job is
03/08/2021-11:59 p.m.-GMT+03:00 East Africa Time
The IMF is committed to achieving a diverse staff, including gender, nationality, culture, and educational background.
The deadline for submitting the application is 08 March 2021