JOB TITLE: Researcher – Agronomy
IITA-TZ-2020 – IRRI-005 -NRS-MOROGORO
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) on behalf of the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) invites applications for the position of Researcher – Agronomy
Background: The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is a nonprofit independent research and training organization. IRRI is a member of the Consultative Group of International Agricultural research (CGIAR) Consortium. We develop new rice varieties and rice crop management techniques that help rice farmers improve the yield and quality of their rice in an environmentally sustainable way. We work with our public and private sector partners in national Agricultural research and extension systems in major rice growing countries to do research, training and knowledge transfer.
A Researcher – Agronomy will facilitate the planning, designing and implementation of the routine trials, data collection and analysis, and other research activities of projects on Rice production improvement and responses to abiotic stresses in Tanzania focusing on the development of improved rice varieties, production systems and post-harvest technologies and on training farmers, technicians and extension officers will constantly communicate with internal and external project partners and collaborators to exchange conceptual ideas and to effectively gather feedback and research-related requirements for the advancement of the projects. Consolidate, evaluate and analyze research data gathered from trials, and draft reports and presentations.
Duty Station: The position will be based Morogoro, Tanzania.
Criteria for Success / Qualifications
MSc in Agriculture with minimum 2 years post graduate work experience from which at least 1 year in rice research/development.
Skills and knowledge mandatory
- Has proven technical proficiency in conducing research experiments and field trials
- Has strong experience in field management (layout, irrigation, fertilization, pest and disease monitoring)
- Has experience in statistical analysis and report preparation
- Has strong oral and written communication skills
- Has strong analytical skills
- Has strong technical experience in guiding farmers, technicians and extension officers
- Has experience in phenotyping and assessing rice responses to different abiotic stresses
- Undertake and supervise phenotyping of rice germplasm under different abiotic stresses, both in controlled environment facilities and in the field
- Facilitate the planning, designing and implementation of the routine trials, data analysis and other research activities of projects on rice crop improvement in Tanzania focusing on the development of improved climate resilient varieties, production systems and on training farmers, technicians and extension officers.
- Contribute to the development of the research projects including selection of adequate research tools and equipment, verification of suggested methodologies and establishment of parameters related to rice production intensification
- Oversee maintenance of the research areas, research fields, technical equipment and fields staff
- Constantly communicate with internal and external project partners and collaborators to exchange conceptual ideas and to effectively gather feedback and research-related requirements for the advancement of the projects
- Provide assistance and guidelines to internal and external stakeholders considering efficient implementation of the projects
- Constantly monitor, evaluate and provide recommendations to improve research and training activities/tasks performed by Research Technicians and contract workers in order to maintain smooth conduct of field and greenhouse trials as well as to foster a productive working environment
- Coordinate with required IRRI services and supplies and with project partners from Sokoine University of Agriculture and University of Copenhagen, to ensure smooth implantation of experiments and proper data collection, analyses and reporting
- Consolidate, evaluate and analyze research data gathered from the project trials
- Evaluate, validate and contribute to the interpretation of results, contribute to the writing of manuscripts for reports/publications as well as presentations/posters for national and international conferences
- Prepare and submit updated research outputs to the Scientist II – Plant Breeding in a timely manner
- Supervise and lead the maintenance of accurate data recording and updating of database for efficient storage and retrieval of information
The duration of contract for the position is two years. This is a nationally recruited position and IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Applications including curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of two referees should be sent to the Country Representative, IITA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge – Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.O. Box 34441, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or by email to [email protected]
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of the announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email. If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the reference number on your application as well as on the left-hand side of your envelope. Please note that any applications without the reference number indicated will be automatically disqualified.
Closing date: Two weeks from the date of advertisement appearing in the newspaper. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.