Regional Manager Job At Save The Children
Save the Children is seeking 4 Project Area/Regional Managers for the USAID-funded Improved Nutrition for Better Life Program in Tanzania. This four-year program will intensify and integrate nutritional support to targeted regions to improve the nutritional status for women of reproductive age. This target group includes pregnant and lactating women, adolescents and children under five years of age in Tanzania. In addition, the staff will also work closely to support the Government of Tanzania (GOT) and local NGOs working at the district, facility, and community levels to improve nutrition-related behaviors within households by promoting evidence-based nutrition specific and nutrition sensitive interventions, and in line with the GOT’s National Multi-sectoral Nutrition Action Plan.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Senior Field Operations Managers
Role Dimensions: Should be willing to travel at least 50% of time in-country
Number of direct reports: Institutional Strengthening Senior Coordinator, Nutrition Coordinator, Livelihood Coordinator, MEAL Coordinator, Finance Officer in the 4 Field offices (Dodoma, Morogoro, Rukwa, Iringa)
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
This position is responsible for the overall management, implementation and reporting of the project in a specific region and will coordinate and ensure strong relevant alignment with LGAs and relevant project partners. S/he is responsible for ensuring timely implementation, monitoring, and reporting of project activities. This requires close liaison with LGAs, communities and relevant private partners in the region.
The position reports directly to the Senior Field operations Manager. It requires necessary financial and administrative, program management skills, good public relationship skills, a well-organized individual who can handle pressure and deadlines, capable of training and supervising staff, and has strong computer skills.
Programme management responsibilities
- Provide management oversight of the implementation of the Lishe Endelevu project.
- Ensure all programme activities on the ground fulfil the requirements of approved Save the Children Country strategic plan.
- Ensure functional systems are in place for effective project planning, preparation, start-up and implementation.
- Liaise closely with the specialist in the areas of livelihood, SBC, Nutrition, MEAL and Institutional Strengthening for technical guidance to the programme with technical backstop from the DCOP.
- Develop detailed implementation plans, procurement plans and phased financial forecasts in collaboration with the Lishe Endelevu staff and Implementing Partners.
- Ensure that all planned activities and related expenditures for the project are on track in accordance with the Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP) in strict compliance with the agreed budget lines and Save the Children’s financial regulations.
- Lead and prepare for the monthly Award Review meetings as per SCI guidelines specific to the target region.
- Ensure timely preparations and submission of monthly progress updates and quarterly reports are developed and submitted in accordance with agreed donors/members schedules.
- Support and manage the implementing CSOs in the project implementation and ensure a capacity assessment and development plan is in place, regularly reviewed and followed-through.
- Establish a strong collaboration and coordination mechanism with the consortium partners to ensure project activities are in line with the project work plan and expected outputs across all the project results areas (IRs).
- Ensure all staff comply with Save the Children financial and logistics procedures.
- Establish and maintain strong collaboration and coordination with the respective LGAs in terms of planning, implementation and progress updates, reviews and reporting.
- Ensure that security guidelines are prepared and followed in the projects location and that any breaches of these are handled appropriately: monitor the security situation in the project area and respond accordingly.
- Record and report any security incidents to the Deputy Director of Programme Operations/Country Director.
- Incorporate child rights programming into all aspects of Save the Children’s work in the operational areas and ensure requirements of Save the Children Child Safeguarding Policy are fully complied with by all staff and partners in the respective region.
- Volunteering Jobs MBEYA At Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation March 2020
- Volunteer Jobs At Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation March 2020
- Barrick Gold Tanzania 19 Jobs March 2020
- 2 Job Opportunities At BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania
2. Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning / Research
- In collaboration with the MEAL Advisor ensure implementation of a strong MEAL mechanism for the project (MEAL plans, indicators, performance tracking tables, monitoring tools, benchmarks etc.)
- In collaboration with the consortium research partner (African Academy Public Health) ensure dissemination of assessment results for all relevant project studies and make use of the findings to inform project planning and implementation.
- In collaboration with the MEAL team, develop process, output and outcome level Quality Benchmarks and regularly review progress on indicators/achievement of targets.
- Discuss monitoring findings during program coordination/review meetings, review MEAL reports to highlight key project strengths and areas of improvement through action plans, and use learning from monitoring reports for project implementation.
- Review accountability to beneficiaries’ data and reports and provide technical support to implementation team using key learning from accountability system for program development, planning, improvement and implementation.
3. Staff Management and Development
- Line management responsibilities for the Lishe Endelevu project staff, in the respective region.
- Maintain staff job descriptions and provide support to staff for continuous professional development opportunities as appropriate
- Manage the performance of all supervisees through the effective use of the Performance Management System and ongoing mentoring/coaching.
- Lead, manage and motivate the relevant staff members, ensuring they have clear work plans and objectives and receive quarterly supervisions and reviews.
- Save the Children representation
- Regularly coordinate and collaborate with other SC sector teams to strengthen programming and impact for children.
- Establish and maintain strong collaboration and coordination with the relevant regional and district LGAs stakeholders, implementing partners including the private sector to ensure successful implementation and sustainability of the project.
- Represent SCI in the relevant regional and district meetings.
- Prepare for donor and member visits to ensure project progress is showcased as per the expected standards. The candidate will be lead host of the project events in collaboration with the LGAs and other relevant stakeholders in the respective region and communities
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values;
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved;
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same;
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale;
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters;
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength;
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to;
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions;
- willing to take disciplined risks;
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity;
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Advanced degree in relevant field; professional qualification in project management desired;
- Minimum five years’ experience in project management.
- Proven ability to prepare budgets, work plans and reports
- Strong analytical, leadership and interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations;
- Proven track record representing organizations in front of the government and donors at the highest levels
- Experience as a coach/mentor to train staff and develop operational and project management skills of colleagues;
- Experience managing and monitoring sub-awards, including all partners;
- Demonstrated capacity and prior experience in managing the personnel, administrative and logistical functions of programs and projects;
- Proven experience building the capacity of local NGOs and government bodies and collaborating closely with multi-level stakeholders;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English required;
- Familiarity with the political, social, and cultural context of Tanzania.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures;
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Date advertised: 26 Mar 2020
Closing date: 9 Apr 2020 – 23:59 EAT
Location: Dodoma, Tanzania, United Republic of
Department: Programme Operations
Type: Fixed-term contract