The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Field Office, Kasulu invites qualified internal/external candidates to apply for the following position:
|Vacancy Notice No:||TANKS/VN/20/007|
|Position Title:||Protection Associate|
|Category:||Fixed-Term Appointment (FTA)|
|Duty Station:||Kasulu, Tanzania|
|Start Date:||01 July 2020|
|Issue Date:||19 May 2020|
|Closing Date:||01 June 2020|
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Protection Associate will report to the Community-Based Protection Officer. The incumbent monitors protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with international standards and provides functional protection support to information management and programme staff.
Read Also:- How to Register Internet Banking CRDB Bank
The Protection Associate is expected to coordinate quality, timely and effective protection responses to the needs of populations of concern (PoC) and identify opportunities to mainstream protection methodologies and integrate protection safeguards in operational responses in all sectors. S/he contributes to designing a comprehensive protection strategy and liaises externally with authorities and partners on protection doctrine and policy as guided by the supervisor.
The Protection Associate also ensures that PoC are involved in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment.
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Assist in providing comments on existing and draft legislation related to PoC.
- Provide advice on protection issues to PoC; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Assist in conducting eligibility and status determination for PoC.
- Contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy. Contribute to a country-level education plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Manage individual protection cases including those on SGBV and child protection. Monitor, and intervene in cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Assist in identifying durable solutions for the largest possible number of PoC through voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Facilitate effective information management through the provision of disaggregated data on PoC and their problems.
- Participate in initiatives to capacitate authorities, relevant institutions and NGOs to strengthen national protection related legislation and procedures.
- Assist the supervisor in prioritizing PoC for interview, counselling and propose protection support for individual cases.
- Assist the supervisor with enforcing compliance of local implementing partners with global protection policies and standards of professional integrity in the delivery of protection services.
- Assist the supervisor with enforcing compliance with, and integrity of, all protection standard operating procedures.
- Submit individual payments request for PoC for approval.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Read Also:- Free Job Application Cover Letter Sample 2020
Education and Professional Work Experience
- Years of Experience / Degree Level – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
- Certificates and/or Licenses – International Law, Political Science or other related field
Relevant Job Experience
- Strong Child Protection knowledge
- Strong understanding of community-based protection through community structures in support of Persons with Specific Needs (PSN)
- Has good writing and communication skills
- Protection Learning Programmes
- IT-Computer Literacy
- CL-Protection & Solutions Awareness
- PR-Protection-related guidelines, standards and indicators
- PR-Refugee Protection Principles and Framework
Read Also:- How To Write Job Application Letter 2020/2021
- Knowledge of English and/ or UN working language.
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Political Awareness
- Stakeholder Management
Interested candidates should express their interest by completing the attached Personal History Form and the Supplementary form if needed in full. Please bear in mind that submission of the Personal History Form, which is not signed, may render that applicant ineligible for consideration. Please quote the Vacancy Notice Number and Position title.
Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a written test followed by oral interview.
Qualified female candidates and candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply
The Expression of Interest for the position should be sent by email to:
The Head of Field Office
UNHCR Field Office, Kasulu
Email: [email protected]
Closing Date: 01 June 2020