MUHAS – PCOR Research Training Program. Applications are invited for two full-time postdoctoral positions for a period of 1 year. The position is part of the project “Patient-Centered Outcomes Research (PCOR)” targeting research questions on measuring and improving patient-reported outcomes (PROs) such as quality of life, functional status, symptoms, self-management and empowerment, treatment satisfaction and experiential quality in Tanzania.
Patient-centered outcomes research (PCOR) focuses on measuring and improving patient reported outcomes (PROs) such as quality of life, functional status, symptoms, self-management and empowerment, treatment satisfaction and experiential quality.
These areas, which extend beyond the traditional clinical outcomes, are critical to understanding how to better organize, deliver and improve patient-centered care. In Tanzania, the need for incorporating PCOR into clinical research is critical to ensure that care is effective and efficient, and meets the needs of the individual while maximizing the impact of the scarce resources within the existing healthcare system limitations. As a postdoctoral fellow you will work with the research team at MUHAS and NU to build the capacity and expertise of MUHAS research staff to design and conduct PCOR in HIV in Tanzania. Successful candidates are expected to work mainly at MUHAS and up to 12 weeks at Northwestern University taking up to three non-degrees courses relevant to their PCOR research. Seed award funds of up to $10,000 will be made available upon submission of a protocol and at least one scientific article is expected to be presented in an international or regional conference and submitted to a peer-reviewed journal.
Eligibility criteria for postdoctoral position:
- Applicants must hold a Masters or PhD degree or equivalent in a HIV health related field that was acquired not more than 5 years prior to the application date from a recognized institution.
- At least two publications in HIV or HIV-related areas
- The applicant must have experience in epidemiological or clinical or implementation research using mid-level to advanced quantitative or qualitative statistical models.
- The candidate should have an interest in learning novel techniques in measurement of patient-outcomes and analytical methods and applying them to improve the prevention, care or treatment of people with HIV or related co-morbidities
We seek persons who are highly motivated able to work both independently and as part of a team, and have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals and organizations with highly different backgrounds.
Also a commitment to developing skills to become a mentor and teacher in HIV PCOR in Tanzania and contribute to the evidence needed to support Tanzania to end the HIV epidemic and improve care and treatment of patients living with HIV (PLWH).
Application For MUHAS – PCOR Research Training Program
The application must include:
- A cover letter explaining your motivation and research interests and proposed focus of your research for this training program
- A CV containing an overview of education, experience – research, teaching, administration, professional work and references
- Copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only)
- A list of academic works – publications
- A list of 2 to 3 references (name, institution, e-mail, telephone number and relation to candidate)
- An exciting work/training experience in an interdisciplinary HIV and PCOR research field including opportunity to take 12 weeks non-degree classes in PCOR methodology at Northwestern University
- Mentoring from experts in PCRO and HIV research in Tanzania and Northwestern
University in Chicago
- Involvement in a new area of research in Tanzania
- A good academic environment with dedicated and enthusiastic colleagues
- A large degree of independence in work
- Flexible deliverables and modest stipend agreement
The working hours will be utilized for participating in courses and mentorship workshops, development of research proposal, attending conferences, mentoring Masters and PhD trainees and attending project meetings.
Applications will be assessed in a two-step process. First, documented qualifications and the candidates’ motivation and personal suitability will be assessed. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to take part in an interview about the position. The final selected candidates will then undergo formal postdoctoral registration process at MUHAS.
Applicants should submit applications packages physically or email to:
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
A non-refundable application fee of TZS 100,000/= shall be paid to the University via NMB account:
National Microfinance Bank (NMB), Muhimbili Branch
Bank account No. 2091100002
Swift code: NMIBTZTZ
(For control number contact: Ms. Zainabu A. Mongi, MUHAS accounts office
Email: [email protected]; mobile: +255 755 676 272)
For further information please contact:
Prof Sylvia Kaaya
Phone: +255 713 262 756
Email: [email protected]
Dr Germana Leyna
Mobile: +255 782 847320
Email: [email protected],
Deadline for Application is October 1st, 2021
For more information Visit official Webpage MUHAS – PCOR Research Training Program