MUHAS Funded PhD Scholarships, DOCEHTA Project. The Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS), the University of Dodoma (UDOM) in Tanzania and the University of Oslo (UiO) in Norway have received funding from the Norwegian Programme for Capacity Development in Higher Education and Research for Development (NORAD) to implement a project entitled “Strengthening Doctoral Education for Health in Tanzania (DOCEHTA)”.
The project’s broad objective is to contribute to good health equitably distributed among people in Tanzania through strengthened quality of doctoral education in the health sciences with a view to improve health-related research as well as the quality and capacity of education of human resources for health.
PhD positions and research areas
This project intends to recruit and support training of FOUR 4-year doctoral scholars at
MUHAS to pursue research into the following research areas:
- Studies focusing on key populations in the HIV epidemic (2 positions)
- Studies focusing on non-communicable diseases (1 position)
- Studies focusing on education in health sciences (1 position)
Benefit for MUHAS Funded PhD Scholarships
Successful PhD scholars will benefit from:
- Provision of strong, interdisciplinary, and longitudinal supervision and mentorship.
- Instruction in research methodology that is individualized to the learner and pertinent to the area of focus listed above.
- Opportunities to pursue courses at all the three collaborating institutions, and
- Guidance in career development to support short and long-term career goals and to promote a transition to academic independence.
The selected candidates will be enrolled at MUHAS and are expected to adhere to the guidelines for successful completion of the degree programme as set forth by the PhD programmes at MUHAS.
The requirements for PhD include attaining required credits for foundation and elective courses, writing of four original research articles for publication in peer-reviewed journals; provision of mentorship to at least one junior researcher; participation in teaching of at least one course at MUHAS; and dissemination of results through presentation in at least two local and two international scientific conferences.
Besides payment of university fees and receding research funds, from the DOCEHTA project, successful applicants will receive a competitive stipend, laptop, and book allowance. Support for travel and lodging costs for conferences and coursework will also be provided.
- Hold a master’s degree from a recognized higher learning institution (as per Tanzania Commission for Universities) with minimum GPA of 3.0 or B grade.
- Meet other criteria for acceptance into PhD programme at MUHAS.
- Demonstrated fluency in both spoken and written English.
- Prior research or practice experience in any of the above-listed project focus areas is preferred, but not required.
- Women applicants and those who are academic employees of MUHAS shall be given priority.
All interested individuals should submit the following information to and before the set
deadline indicated below.
- Application cover letter. This letter should include your name, position, institution, email, telephone number, and a short statement summarizing your intent to apply to the PhD programme.
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Certified copies of academic transcripts and certificates (O-level, A-level, Bachelor, Master)
- Two letters of recommendation. The letters should include telephone numbers,
addresses and e-mail addresses of the referees. At least one letter of support must be from a senior faculty member from your previous university education (former head of department, supervisor, or mentor) who can attest to your academic aptitude outlining your career and research goals and how the training programme will assist you achieve the goals.
- Research concept note (4 pages maximum). The concept note should describe a proposed topic of research you would like to explore during your doctoral work. This concept note is not binding, as you may change interests during your PhD studies, but it should outline your research interests. The topic of your PhD should be
aligned with one of the training focus areas listed above. Please structure the
research concept note to include sections on background, aims/research questions,
proposed research methods, and resources and training which will be necessary to
complete this research.
Application process and deadline
Applications containing the required documents must be submitted to [email protected] copied to [email protected] by close of business on Friday 1st October 2021. For further inquiries about the project and the positions, please contact [email protected].
For more information Visit official Webpage MUHAS Funded PhD Scholarships