Position Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Expert
Reporting to: The Executive Secretary for the Joint Songwe River Basin Commission.
Reference Number: SRBC/STCINRMSRBP/M&E/l
Place of duty:S-SRBC Offices in Kyela.
The Governments of the United Republic of Tanzania and the Republic of Malawi are jointly implementing the Songwe River Basin Development Programme (SRBDP), which is managed by the Secretariat of the joint Songwe River Basin Commission (S-SRBC) with office located at Kyela, Tanzania. The Songwe River Basin (SRB) covers an area of 4.243 km2 in seven districts of: Karonga, Clutipa (in Malawi); and Kyela. Mbeya Rural, Ileje. Mbozi and Momba (Tanzania). The basin is part of the wider Zambezi River basin. The river forms part of the border between Malawi and Tanzania where increasing competition for space, water and natural resources is degrading the Songwe River Basin.
Both riparian countries in 2017 ratified the Convention on the Establishment of the Joint the Songwe River Basin Commission (SRBC) to sustainably manage the basin natural resources and implement the Songwe River Basin Development Progrannne (SRBDP). The Convention came into force on 1st July, 2018. The SRBDP is a multipurpose transboundary Programme under which the challenges and opportunities resulting from the behaviour of the Songwe River are planned to be worked on through various projects. The projects are to cover construction of dams for flood control and hydropower productions, development of irrigated agriculture, water supply, fisheries and tourism to mention a few including noil-structural measures.
The ‘Strengthening Transboundary Cooperation and Integrated Natural Resource Management in the Songwe River Basin’ (STCINRM-SRB) Project as one of the noil-structural measures has been established to prepare the ground for the implementation of the SRBDP by addressing the problem of environmental degradation. Specifically, the Project objective is to enhance basin protection, livelihoods and integrated water resources management through improved transboundary cooperation and sustained ecosystem services. The Project will be implemented for a period of four years.
You May Interested Also:-
- Nursery Teaching Job at Grace Schools Dar es salaam Tanzania.
- 3 Job Opportunities At Ngara District Council
- Job Opportunities At JSI Tanzania – Several Position, April 2021
Functions and Responsibilities
The functions and responsibilities of the M&E Expert will include, but are not limited to: –
- Supervise and assist the consultant responsible for establishing the M&E system and thereafter operate and maintain the system;
- Lead m preparation and review of annual work plans and budgets for the Project;
- Design, implement and updates gender responsive M&E plan for the project and associated work plans for each activity (as reflected in the project result framework);
- Assist the Districts in developing an M&E tool for Project interventions including a Connnunity Based Monitoring and Evaluation;
- Build capacity of SRBC staff and stakeholders in collecting analysing, communication and use of M&E information in planning and decision making;
- Lead the sourcing of data and information for specific M&E needs directly from the S-SRBC (such as budgets, staff capacity and other internal data) particularly for indicators not requiring a survey and remember to include gender related consideration in all aspects of collecting, analysing and reporting;
- Review and provide advice related to the project results framework and indicators including advising on development and maintenance of M&E database for the pro ject;
- Assist the Capacity Building Consultant in conducting assessment of the existing capacity in the field of M&E with gender consideration in mind, and support the development and implementation of a capacity building plan as per Project Appraisal Report:
- Review the quality of existing data sources, the methods of collecting data and the degree to which they will provide good baseline data
for mid-term and end of project evaluations, and based on this review, consult with partners to develop approaches to address identified gaps;
- Lead in identifying M&E technical needs of the project and make appropriate recommendations to the S-SRBC and relevant partners cooperating with the project that will ensure all planned outcomes and outputs are achieved and reported;
- Assist m the development of ToRs for M&E tasks to be carried out for consulting firm if need be (e.g. the design of surveys, studies, under the project and oversee the development of data collection tools and work of consultants, evaluations (mid-teim/final evaluation) etc.) by using a combination of quantitative and qualitative methods;
- Oversee evaluation exercises and preparation of monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports as well as compile periodic data for input into the S-SRBC Management Information System (MIS);
- Organise timely monitoring visits to project sites and identify and formulate lessons learned and document best practices from various studies to be integrated into project reports; and
- Perform any other appropriate/relevant tasks assigned by the Executive Secretary.
Education Qualifications and Experience
- At least a Master degree in Statistics. Economics, Demographics or any other Socio-economic or Social-science field with M&E related experience in the field of environment and natural resources management.
- At least five (5) years’ experience in a senior project monitoring and evaluation position responsible for implementing M&E for international development/donor funded projects;
- Experience in designing, implementing and operating project M&E systems from project initiation to closeout stage;
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and performance monitoring plans;
- Experience in developing and refining data collection tools;
- Experience in report writing and presentation;
- Experience in planning and managing surveys;
- Solid experience in gender mainstreaming and collection, analysis and reporting on sex-disaggregated and gender-responsive data;
- Experience in managing and providing training to partners and target beneficiaries;
- Knowledge of major evaluation methodologies (e.g. quantitative, qualitative and mixed-method) and data collection and analysis methodologies;
- Experience in working with donor funded projects including governmental and international funded projects; and
- Excellent knowledge of English language is a requirement; knowledge of local languages is an added advantage.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, copies of academic certificates, professional certificates and Curriculum Vitae (not exceeding four pages) with names and contact information of three traceable referees to:
The Executive Secretary
The Secretariat of the Joint Songwe River Basin Commission
P.O. Box 300,
Email: [email protected]
Telephone number: +255 25 2957412; or +255 754 832484;
- To be submitted not later than 6th May, 2021,17:00 Hours Local time (EAT)’.
- Please mention the title of the position you are applying for in your email or Post.
- Ladies are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.