Absa Group Limited is listed on the JSE and is one of Africa’s largest diversified financial services groups with a presence in 12 countries across the continent and around 41 000 employees.
We own majority stakes in banks in Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, the Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania (ABSA Bank in Tanzania and National Bank of Commerce), Uganda and Zambia. We also have representative offices in Namibia and Nigeria, as well as insurance operations in Botswana, Kenya, Mozambique, South Africa, Tanzania and Zambia.
Head of Governance and Assurance At ABSA Group Limited
Position: Head of Governance and Assurance
Location: Absa House – ABT
Bring your possibility to life! Define your career with us
With over 100 years of rich history and strongly positioned as a local bank with regional and international expertise, a career with our family offers the opportunity to be part of this exciting growth journey, to reset our future and shape our destiny as a proudly African group.
The role entails improving the bank’s operations and ensuring it complies with major regulations by carrying out thorough assessment and improvement on the effectiveness of the bank’s control, risk management, and governance processes. This role is 1st Line of Defence which needs to conduct reviews of potential risk areas and identify reportable issues. Monitor and provide advice to management to minimize risk resulting from poor internal controls. Identify areas of financial and administrative strengths and weaknesses and develop best practices.
- Establish and operate proper governance.
- Develop and implement Standards and Procedures.
- Propose and agree risk appetite and supporting limits with the second line of defence.
- Identify and manage risks in the activities and critical processes in which they are engaged, in line with the approved appetite and agreed limits.
- Support and continued enhancement of Governance and Control Framework within the bank through working closely with 2nd and 3rd LOD , identifying emerging risks and hotspots across the bank and administering the monthly Governance & Controls Committee.
- Identifying and managing all the risks in the activities and critical processes in which they are engaged, and developing appropriate standards, procedures and controls to govern their activities;
- Operating within any and all limits which Risk, Legal and Compliance functions establish in connection with the Risk Appetite of the ABT.
- Escalating risk events to senior managers and to Risk, Legal and Compliance.
- Bachelors Degree and Professional Qualifications: Risk Management (Required)