Call for the Fully Funded Scholarships for Master of Social Work. The Department of Social Work of the Institute of Social Work, with funding from the Norwegian Development Agency through the Norwegian Programme for Capacity Development in Higher Education and Research for Development (NORHED) is calling for applications from interested candidates for a fully funded scholarship to pursue a two-year Master of Social Work programme at the Institute of Social Work.
The Scholarship is part of a 6- year project on ‘Building Resilient Communities through Inclusive Education in Eastern Africa’, implemented by the Department of Social Work, College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHUSS) in partnership with University of Agder in Norway, University of Rwanda and Makerere University of Uganda.
The objective of the scholarship is to enable academically qualified individuals from vulnerable and marginalised groups and communities that would not afford postgraduate education without support, to attain such an education. Upon completion of the programme the sponsored graduates can proactively contribute towards socio-economic transformation of their communities.
Targeted Scholarship Beneficiaries and Criteria for the Scholarship
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or other related
Social Science disciplines such as Community Development, Sociology, Health Sciences, Psychology, Education and Social Development from an accredited institution, with a minimum GPA of 3.5.
- Must be citizens of Tanzania and residing in the Country at the time of application and ready to stay and work in the Country upon completion of the study programme.
- Must have at least one year of work experience in the social development sector.
- Should be below 35 years of age at the time of applying.
- Must be from a poor, vulnerable or disadvantaged socio-economic condition.
- Must be ready to take on fulltime studentship at the Institute.
- Should not hold any other scholarship for an academic programme at the Institute or any other Higher Learning Institution (HLI) and has not received a scholarship for an equivalent programme in the past (e.g. those seeking to do a second Masters’ degree).
- Should demonstrate specific interest in pursuing a career in social work/social development.
The selection will aim at gender balance and give priority to the gender category that is considered underrepresented in post graduate programme in the country at the moment.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake a full–time two-year year study programme during which they will be required to undertake mandatory field work preferably in the rural, hard to reach areas of the country in order to facilitate engagement with the most in need.
The scholarship will cover tuition fees, functional fees (e.g., library and internship
fees), allowance for field-based research, and a modest stipend for the stipulated period of study (2 years ).
- Five (5) scholarships are available in this call.
- The award covers two (2) years only.
- The scholarship does not cover costs associated with retakes. Students who will repeat a year due to poor academic performance will automatically be cancelled from the scholarship.
- Failure to complete studies and graduate within the stipulated programme period without sound reason (unrelated to iii above) will lead to automatic cancellation of the scholarship and a refund will be demanded.
- Payments of tuition and functional fees will be made directly to the Institute.
- Every beneficiary is expected to exhibit exemplary conduct both in and outside
Application Procedures Fully Funded Scholarships for Master of Social Work
A completed application should follow the following procedures:
- Applicants are required to apply for the Masters of Social Work Programme through the Online Application System (OAS) link: https://oas.isw.ac.tz/login/ or via the Institute’s website www.isw.ac.tz, and pay a non-refundable fee of Tshs. 10,000/=. Note: For more information, please visit the Institute’s website at “www.isw.ac.tz” or Call: 0677 111200 or 0735 509090.7.
- Print 2 copies of the filled online application form.
- Attach with the filled application form the following documents:
- Two (2) certified copies of all relevant Academic Documents including Undergraduate, O and A level Certificate.
- Letter of motivation and justification why the scholarship should be awarded based on the specified criteria (Max. 1000 words).
- A maximum of two-page curriculum vitae showing academic qualifications, work experience and any other relevant information.
- Two (2) passport photos.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from 1. An academic referee and 2. Professional (e.g. current employer) referee.
- A letter of proof of vulnerability/disadvantage (e.g. a letter of endorsement from a Local Government Authority).
- A certified copy of Birth Certificate.
- Submit the complete set of application package to Information Resource Center (IRC) Building of the Institute, Ground Floor, Registrars’ Office or send scanned copies via email to [email protected] and copy to [email protected]
- Note that shortlisted candidates will be interviewed over zoom or physically on dates to be communicated by the Project Secretariat.
- Strictly observe that the closing date is Friday 13th August, 2021. Persons with disabilities and individuals from ethnic minority and marginalised communities are encouraged to apply. For any further information contact the ISW-NORHEAD Coordinator: Dr. Zena Mnasi Mabeyo on email: [email protected] or Telephone/WhatsApp +255 655 312225.