The Public Affairs Section of the United States Embassy in Dar es Salaam is seeking qualified candidates for the Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistantship Program (FLTA). Online applications are now available. The deadline for submitting applications is March 31, 2021. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be scheduled for April 2021.
Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program (FLTA) Information
The FLTA Program is a NON-DEGREE and non-renewable program and those wishing to pursue degree studies in the United States should not apply. All FLTA fellows must return to their home countries upon completion of the nine-month program. No extension requests will be supported. Dependents are not allowed to accompany fellows on this program. Pregnant candidates may not participate in this program if the birth is due during the program period.
FLTA candidates should be energetic, early career educators capable of succeeding in the dual role of teaching assistant and student. They must have a sincere interest in teaching their native language and culture to U.S. students. They should have leadership skills and the ability to motivate students to learn. FLTAs should have a desire to meet people and become a part of the community by participating in community events and campus activities. They should be creative and self-reliant team players, who are able to maintain excellent relationships with faculty, staff and students. They must be open to living with their U.S. student peers in undergraduate or graduate level campus housing and engaging with faculty and staff with maturity and professionalism.
Preference will be given to candidates who have little or no prior experience living in the United States. Fellows must be flexible with placements at smaller or more ethnically diverse U.S. academic institutions. At the conclusion of the program, Tanzanian fellows will be expected to return to Tanzania, making an immediate impact by utilizing the skills gained and sharing the experiences gleaned from their time in the U.S.
Eligibility Criteria Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program (FLTA)
- Must be a citizen of the United Republic of Tanzania and reside in Tanzania throughout the application, nomination and selection process.
- Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree by June 2021 with a good academic record.
- Are an early career teacher of English or training to become a teacher of English or are an early career educator in a related field; prior teaching experience is preferred.
- Have a sincere interest in teaching Kiswahili and Tanzanian culture to students in the U.S.
- Are fluent in English, as demonstrated by a recent score of no less than 550 (Paper Based TOEFL), 79-80 (Internet Based TOEFL – IBT), or 6.0 (Overall Score International English Language Testing System – IELTS). TOEFL scores are not required at the time of application.
- Can work creatively and be self-reliant while being willing to work cooperatively as part of a team with faculty, staff and students.
- Are flexible and have a willingness to learn.
- Are adaptable to living in rural or urban areas.
- Clearly demonstrate maturity, dependability, integrity and professionalism.
- Do not hold U.S. citizenship; dual citizens are not eligible for the program participation.
How to Apply Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program (FLTA)
All application forms must be prepared and submitted electronically; hand-written applications will not be accepted. Candidates must submit completed application forms, academic transcripts, and three confidential letters of reference online.
Applicants MUST Read the application instructions carefully before completing the application. For instructions on completing the online application, please click on link to download FLTA application instructions (PDF 563KB). Applicants may only apply for one award per application cycle.
Prospective candidates can access the online application at https://apply.iie.org/flta2022
For any further queries, email: [email protected].
Application Due Date: March 31, 2021
For more information Visit official webage Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program (FLTA)