Education Officer At International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Open to Expatriates: No
Scope of Work
The IRC is seeking a motivated and enthusiastic Education Officer to carry out project activities in Refugee Camps. The Education Officer will work with a team of officers to ensure all project activities are carried out in a timely manner. The Education Officer will be responsible for direct supervision of the refugee incentive Education Community Outreach workers, supporting them in managing their time and activities effectively and building their capacity, where possible. The Education Officer will represent the IRC education team in relevant camp based stakeholder meetings and project coordination meetings.This position will report to the Education Manager and is contingent on the IRC being awarded funding. It is anticipated to begin in April 2020 and will be located at Nyarugusu, Mtendeli, or Nduta refugee camp. Education Officer Job At IRC
- Ensure timely implementation of education activities in Nyarugusu, Mtendeli, or Nduta refugee camp, ensuring adherence to donor requirements and regulations.
- Provide and coordinate training for incentive staff.
- Work closely with HR and the Education Protection Officer to ensure all teachers are trained on the Teacher Code of Conduct and Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and violations are properly reported.
- Work with Education Community Outreach Workers to follow up on student and teacher attendance in schools.
- Support and monitor extra-curricular activities, including school clubs, recreation, sports, and games as well as linking children to Child Friendly Spaces.
- Support preparation of activity reports, monthly, and donor reports based on the prescribed template.
- Notify the Education Manager of any problems, complaints, or useful information about all aspects of the education program.
- Work with the M&E Manager and officer to undertake assessments in coordination with partners, UNHCR, UNICEF, where appropriate.
Representation and Partnership
- Support coordination and participation in monthly Camp Based Education Working Group meetings, providing minutes to the regional Education Working Group.
- Ensure education projects are integrated and coordinated with other IRC sectors.
- Ensure teacher absence and lateness is managed effectively and poor behaviour is reported directly to HR.
- Ensure adherence by staff to IRC’s Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures and the IRC way.
- Report any violations of the IRC Sexual Abuse and Exploitation, The IRC Way, and Child Safeguarding Policy (TZ specific and global), as per the IRC Tanzania reporting mechanism.
- Participate in recruiting, training and mentorship of incentive staff
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor
- Degree in Education from a recognized institution (preferably qualified teacher)
- Minimum two years’ work experience.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies
- A commitment to IRC’s mission and humanitarian principles.
- Receptive to building and maintaining positive relationships with people from all backgrounds, genders, cultures and viewpoints.
- Experience working with refugee communities desirable.
- Knowledge of Education in Emergencies.
- Experience working with children, preferably in a teaching capacity.
- Experience in planning and delivering training.
- Experience in community mobilisation and coordination.
- Highly collaborative and consultative approach.
- Good IT skills: knowledge of MS Word; Excel and Outlook required
- Swahili and good English written and oral skills required. French and Kirundi a plus.
IRC staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Global Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other protected characteristic. Education Officer Job At IRC