DAAD Scholarship Programme 2021/2022. The Call for Scholarship Programme In-Country/In-Region for Eastern Africa Regionfor intake 2021 is now open. The DAAD is the world’s largest funding organisation for the international exchange of students and researchers. It supports the internationalisation of universities, assists countries in establishing effective higher education institutions and advises decision makers on matters of cultural, education and development policy.
Apart from funding the exchange to Germany, we also support the regional exchange within Africa in the framework of the In-country/In region programme.
The DAAD in-country/ in-region scholarship programme was introduced in Sub-Saharan Africa in the late 1960s and contributes to the training of highly qualified professionals and managerial staff for sustainable development in the partner countries.
They study and research at universities in their home countries or at highly qualified institutions in the region, some of which are organized in networks. The programme is also concerned with the development of top quality, cosmopol-itan universities.
Objectives Of DAAD Scholarship Programme 2021/2022
The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and/or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Who can apply DAAD Scholarship Programme 2021/2022?
This programme strongly encourages mobility of Sub-Saharan Africans within the region. We
therefore strongly recommend applicants to apply to institutions outside their home coun-
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa
with a first academic degree (Master’s courses) or a Master’s degree (PhD courses), either
- In their home country (In-Country scholarships are aimed at students who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit.)
- In another Sub-Sahara African country (In-Region scholarships are aimed at students who want to participate in a study programme in a country of their home.
What is supported?
- Master and PhD scholarships studies at 16 participating host and networks within Eastern
Application requirements DAAD Scholarship Programme 2021/2022
Applicants must meet the following DAAD criteria:
- have successfully completed generally a three-year Bachelor’s degree (Master candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division if applicable)or
- have successfully completed generally a two-year university Master’s degree (doc-toral candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division if applicable)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Sahara African country
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector and/or d) Alumni of the DAFI-programme
Value of the DAAD Scholarship Programme 2021/2022
- University tuition fees
- research allowance (once a year)monthly stipend
- travel allowance (in-region only)
- health insurance (in-region only)
- and the possibility of a study visit of up to 6 months to Germany within the period of
Programme information and DAAD Application Deadline:
- Your complete application must reach the DAAD by December, 15th 2020.