VSO Country Representative – Uganda, Rwanda & Tanzania. VSO is the world’s leading international development charity that works through volunteers to create a fair world for everyone. At VSO we pride ourselves on doing development differently. We fight poverty not by sending aid, but by working through volunteers and partners to create long-lasting change in some of the world’s poorest regions. We bring key stakeholders together to coordinate collective action, from local organisations to national governments. Our programmes focus on health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience, peacebuilding, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead, we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change that will improve the lives of generations to come.
The Country Representative will lead on all fundraising activities to grow VSO’s ability to deliver impact and influence in Uganda, Rwanda and Tanzania. S/he will provide business pursuit leadership and secure funding and strategic partnerships to deliver VSO’s global products in-country and across the region, delivering £5-10 million in secured funding per year. As an expert in your field, you will be responsible for optimising income generation and business development from a range of institutional donors such as the FCDO, EU, UN, USAID, GAC and others in support of VSO’s programmes.
The role will be based in Uganda, with oversight for fundraising activities in Rwanda and Tanzania.
Skills, qualifications and experience
A result-driven individual with exceptional interpersonal skills and a successful track record of leadership at a senior level. The ideal candidate will bring the experience of securing major funding or grants (£5m+), building collaborative and effective strategic partnerships with donors and others across the sector. A resilient leader who shares our values:
• Empower poor and marginalised people to take charge of their own development
• Share skills and knowledge to create long-lasting, sustainable change
• Build collaborative partnerships that promote innovation, growth and impact
• Lead volunteering for development, setting the standard for ourselves and others
• Use evidence and insight to guide our actions
• Recruit the right people and work where we have the greatest impact
• Stand beside and advocate for those who have been denied choice and opportunity
• Promote diversity and equality throughout our work
• Encourage different, inquisitive perspectives
• Commit to safeguarding and take a zero-tolerance approach to abuse and harm
• Treat others with respect, as equals
• Be open, transparent and accountable in everything we do
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
Once you’re ready to apply, click on ‘make an application’ below to complete the online form.
The deadline for submitting the application is 18 January, 2021