Climate Journalism Media Mentorship Opportunity Get ready for our global opportunity for climate and environmental journalists and media professionals.
This is a media mentorship like no other!
It’s all-encompassing and engaging. Our online training programme will see 12 young journalists from around the world dive into a paid 3-month mentorship with us! As a selected participant, you will be challenged and supported to publish 1 climate-related feature story each month on the Climate Tracker website. One story per month at $150USD per story, for three months.
Your stories will be shared and promoted throughout our channels and networks. Our aim is to make you famous for the awesome climate messages you produce. Exciting, right?!
All the while, you’ll also be a part of a diverse media mentorship programme, undergoing a range of connected training and collaborations covering social media engagement, data and visual journalism, and podcasting. A great chance to sharpen your new media skills to amplify your journalism and boost your marketability.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Tuesday 1st December, 2020
HOW TO APPLY?
Simply submit your pitch through this App. Send us an open link to your pitch, using our pitching guide found here. Pay close attention to Page 6.
YOUR COMMITMENT AS A SELECTED FELLOW
Once selected, we will get the ball rolling really quickly! Here’s a taste of what you’ll be jumping straight into.
- Pitching and publishing a Feature climate story each month for Climate Tracker’s site, with original photos – including 1 collaborative Feature in the 3rd month.
- Managing a twitter thread, and taking over CT’s twitter once per month to discuss your story or other news from your region
- Instagram live session throughout the 3 months
- 1 podcast interview throughout the 3 months, highlighting their story and sharing audio clips from their interviews
- Guest writing one Climate Weekly newsletter over the course of the 3 months
Not only is this a great opportunity to build your network around the world and engage with journalists beyond your country/region, it’s a fantastic chance to gain hands-on experience in reporting on climate change and sustainability issues.
THE EXTRA CHERRY ON TOP
After the three initial months are over, we will select the most impressive 6 fellows, with the highest graded stories will be offered the chance to move on to stage two! Three more months of paid storytelling!
In these additional months, fellows will be divided into three pairs and will be challenged to write a collaborative story in the first month and will pitch and produce either an in-depth story, an investigative story, or a multimedia production (video, podcast, bot, videogame, comic, interactive website etc…) in the second and third months.
The second period will also be paid at the same rate as the first, but in two payments (150+300). Fellows who advance to the second round may be invited to mentor and edit those in the next batch.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR IN OUR FELLOWS?
Ideal candidates will:
- Be 18-35 years old1 year of journalism experience min
- 1 year of journalism experience min
- Have a hunger to improve as journalists – this is a learning experience
- Have a history of writing quality climate stories
- Have proof of ability to take good quality photos
Submit your application through our app TODAY! All the best!