Chief Budget Officer, P4 at United Nations March, 2021
• Coordinates the preparation of the programme budget and performance reports of the Mechanism.
• Reviews, analyses and finalizes budget proposals in terms of staff and non-staff requirements for the two branches of the Mechanism. Provides detailed input with respect to resource requirements for budget submissions.
• Reviews, analyses and finalizes programme budget/financial implications to the General Assembly when warranted in light of additional mandates not known at the time of budget preparation.
• Provides substantive support to relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies in their budget review; participates in the team defending the budget submission and performance reports during ACABQ and General Assembly review.Budget management and administration:
• Approves allotments, authorizes sub-allotments, including redeployment of funds when necessary, ensuring funds availability.
• Manages and monitors budget implementation and recommends reallocation of funds as necessary.
• Monitors expenditures to ensure that they remain within authorized levels.
• Administers and monitors extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
• Reviews and finalizes budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
• Provides substantive support to relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
• Manages the staffing table of the organization.
• Provides advice and guidance, including training, to staff on budgetary and financial policies and procedures and programme planning
• Participates in inter-departmental meetings on matters related to resource requirements, programming and budgetary issues.
• Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme and budgets, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
• Undertakes research and analysis of budgetary policies and procedures, makes recommendations for changes and/or modifications.
• Acts as certifying officer to ensure that proposed obligations and expenditures are in accordance with approved budgets and established regulations and rules.
• Represents the Mechanism in intra-departmental meetings involving budget matters.
• Organizes, manages and supervises the work of the Unit/Section.
• Incumbents may be asked to perform other related duties.
• Planning and Organising – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
• Judgement/Decision-making – Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly. Gathers relevant information before making a decision. Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them. Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organisation. Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information. Checks assumptions against facts. Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision. Makes tough decisions when necessary.
Demonstrated experience in report-writing on financial and budgetary matters is required.
Experience with the administration of financial and budgetary policies and practices is required.
Experience with financial systems/finance modules of enterprise resource systems, such as Oracle, SAP or PeopleSoft is highly desirable.
Experience in drafting and finalizing formal reports with substantive and financial content is desirable.
Experience in the coordination and the preparation of formal reports from inputs by other professional staff is desirable.
NOTE FOR PREVIOUSLY ROSTERED CANDIDATES
Roster candidates must express their interest and availability for published job openings by submitting an updated PHP and cover letter.
The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer, or promotion of staff shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. By accepting an offer of appointment, United Nations staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and assignment by him or her to any activities or offices of the United Nations in accordance with staff regulation 1.2 (c). In this context, all internationally recruited staff members shall be required to move periodically to discharge new functions within or across duty stations under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
The deadline for submitting the application is 7 April 2021