Canada Embassy Jobs 2021, Administrative Assistant
Job Title: Administrative Assistant: International Business Development Foreign Policy & Diplomatic Service
Salary: TZS 27,577,247 per annum
Vacancy type: Indeterminate
Classification:LE-05/ LE A2
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Closing date for applications:18-04-2021 at 23:59 UTC+1 / GMT+1
Summary of position:
Reporting to the Regional Senior Trade Commissioner and Political Economic Counsellor, the Administrative Assistant contributes to the delivery of trade promotion and Foreign Policy Diplomatic Service (FPDS) program at mission. The Assistant will proactively assist and promote Canadian companies in the identification and pursuit of commercial opportunities in Tanzania, Seychelles, and Comoros through a variety of activities, including the conduct of targeted meetings with local contacts, the organization of trade missions, and the timely distribution of commercial intelligence. The Assistant will provide administrative support services to commercial and political officers; maintain the program budgets; plan events and visit programs; liaise with local government contacts and other stakeholders concerning bilateral relations; support the commercial and FPDS social media plans; and perform other duties as required.
Essential qualifications: Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
• Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with a major in a discipline related to the job requirements (e.g. business administration, economics, or a similar field)
• Advanced Fluency in English and Swahili (oral & written)
• Intermediate French skills (oral and written)
• Minimum of 3 years’ *recent experience providing administrative/program support to a team of officer-level employees.
*Recent is defined as within the last 5 years
The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
• Excellent knowledge of managing budgets, tracking expenditures, and analysing financial reports;
• Good knowledge of the political and business environment in Tanzania;
• Intermediate knowledge of key stakeholders involved in Tanzania’s political, commercial, and economic situation (including non-governmental organisations, government institutions, international organizations, and domestic/international companies).
• Excellent Knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint)
• Ability to plan and organize workflow and coordinate information;
• Ability to work under pressure and prioritize accordingly;
• Ability to identify and analyze client needs;
• Ability to network and develop contacts and relationships, both internal and external, to facilitate trade and political priorities or to gain support/cooperation.
• Values and ethics;
• Focus on quality and details;
• Flexibility and adaptability;
• Interpersonal relations and respect;
• Teamwork and cooperation; and,
• Effective Interactive Communication – oral and written.
Asset Qualifications: Preference may be given to candidates who have the following asset qualifications:
• Experience working in a diplomatic mission, international non-governmental organization, a multi-lateral organization, private company, or government environment doing international business development;
• Experience dealing with government ministries/departments, NGOs;
• Network of contacts relevant to international business development and/or political relations in Tanzania, Seychelles and Comoros;
• Master’s degree in relevant field of study.
• Ability to work from home with equipment that is supplied by the High Commission;
• Ability and willingness to work overtime when required;
• Ability to attend offsite meetings as required;
• Willing to travel domestically and internationally as required
• Normal work-week is 37.5 hours.
• Monday to Thursday 7h30 to 16h00 (30 minutes unpaid lunch break) Fridays 7h30 to 13h00.
Condition(s) of Employment:
• Candidates must have a valid work authorization covering the entire employment period. If the employment is indeterminate, the work authorization should be permanent or itself lead to a permanent work authorization.
• Before an offer of employment can be made, candidates must provide a local address as proof of residence in the specific city, region or country so that if selected, it will appear on the offer letter.
• Obtain and maintain a reliability rating (security clearance) from the Government of Canada covering the entire employment period.
Area of selection:
Open to internal and external applicants who are legal residents or citizens of Tanzania, who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date. PLEASE NOTE: THE HIGH COMMISSION DOES NOT DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY SPONSOR WORK AUTHORIZATIONS. The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered based on merit. Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture. Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
• Note: Due to Covid-19, you may experience some delay in the recruitment process. We are working hard to minimize any disruption. You may find more information in the sections below.
How to apply:
• Please complete the online application form and submit your cover letter and C.V. in English or French. Please include in your C.V. document copies of any certificates of employment from your last place of work and copies of certificates of education, including any relevant certificates of language proficiency and work permit by creating one pdf document.
• Please submit a cover letter in English or French explaining why you are interested in the position and how your previous experience applies to this position. Candidates must demonstrate concisely in their cover letter how they meet all essential qualifications.
• ELIGIBILITY INSTRUCTIONS (to include in the covering letter)
Assessment questions* have been included for candidates to complete and include in their cover letters along with the application. In order to be considered for the position, please note that candidates must answer all questions (#1 and #2). Please include the information in paragraph form. Responses must be your original work, and cannot use text from the internet or other sources. Applications using copied text will be disqualified.
You will be assessed on your attention to detail, spelling, grammar and effective communication on the application and further along in the process if you’re screened in. Applications not including responses to these questions will be screened out.
* Applications that do not include the Candidate Assessment Questions will not be considered.
Question #1 (500 words maximum)
What skills and experience do you have that would benefit a multi-disciplinary team engaged in trade promotion and political diplomacy?
Question #2 (500 words maximum) Please share with us a to do list of a typical work day for you. Please use bullet points, Arial as font in the size of 11 point and a line spacing in the text of 1.5.
Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to: [email protected] prior to the closing date. Failure to do so will result in the application being rejected.
• Please do not use a tablet or cell phone to submit your application, as mobile browsers are not supported by our on-line portal. Candidates should only apply using a laptop or desktop computer.
• Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French).
• Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
• Candidates who apply to this vacancy should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
• Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
• The High Commission of Canada in Tanzania does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
• Candidates requiring any special assistance in attending exams or interviews are requested to inform us.
• The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar term, indeterminate part-time or full-time openings at the High Commission of Canada in Tanzania which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this recruitment process.
CLOSING DATE: 18-04-2021 at 23:59 UTC+1 / GMT+1