To provide assistance to the Chief Executive both in the day-to-day management of the workload as well as in any strategic and business matters, by providing guidance and sound advice on any matters pertinent, prioritising and managing issues that have escalated to the Chief Executive Office and keep abreast of any relevant developments or issues that impact the bank.
This role acts as a sounding board to the Chief Executive sharing the overflow of work and acting as a consultant on all matters required. Following up on agreed actions and initiatives for execution.
Business Manager to Chief Executive at Standard Bank Group October, 2020
The roles and responsibilities of the incumbent will be as follows:
- Manage the Chief Executive’s agenda, prioritizing pressing matters that require his direct attention and addressing any challenges or issues that can be resolved without further escalation. • To act as a gatekeeper to the CE, releasing his time to key and critical matters and relevant stakeholder engagements.
- Provide support in the preparation of key events and forums attended by the Chief Executive, by preparing all the key points that are to be addressed and compiling the required reports, ensuring alignment with key strategic imperatives and driving the right agenda in each event or forum.
Advice and Guidance
- Act as a sound advisor and consultant to the Chief Executive , through the sound understanding of the organization’s context and strategy, unpacking key challenges and/or opportunities, options and choices and potential implications (both positive and negative). • To assist the Chief Executive to make informed decisions.
- Manage the reporting cycles for the Chief Executive, including the monthly EXCO reports, quarterly Board packs and annual reports. • To compile sections that are allocated to the Chief Executive, ensuring adherence to reporting requirements, quality and bearing of the information presented and sharpness of the communication channeled by the Chief Executive.
- Work closely with the transformation, compliance, governance and branding executives to ensure alignment with the Chief Executive’s agenda and strategic imperatives.
- Manage and drive key projects and initiatives critical to the Chief Executive, ensuring these are executed as per plan and create the expected impact. These projects and initiatives foster and promote the Chief Executive, and the organization’s reputation and image and might require the collaboration across functions, therefore this role needs to influence and drive the agenda with key stakeholders.
Research and Insights
- Conduct research in a multitude of subjects, at a macro and micro level, in order to ensure that the Chief Executive has all the required information in hand for stakeholder engagements, communications, events, interviews, etc. • To provide insights that enable the Chief Executive to gain a good understanding of any matter and can engage with any stakeholder with confiedence.
- Provide a swift and efficient response to customer’s complaints that have been escalated to the Chief Executive, ensuring efficient resolution and promoting cusotmer service excellence and driving the client centricity agenda.
Networking and Collaboration
- Manage a strong network of people that are key for the Chief Executive and the organization, through the sound understanding of the organization and external context where the organization operates, in order ro ensure that for any new initiative, challenge or opportunity, the right people are identified and connected.
Committees, Forums and Work Groups
- Participate in key meetings related to strategic initiatives, in order to keep updated on any relevant developments or risk. • To provide continuous feedback to the Chief Executive, highlighting any areas that require his direct intervention.
Ad hoc Support
- Support the Chief Executive in any relevant matters, in order to drive the function’s agenda and achieve strategic objectives for the organization.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
Minimum qualification: A graduate or postgraduate qualification in Business Commerce, Economics , Finance, Law, Political Science and/or other related disciplines.
Business Management: The incumbent must have more than 10 years experience (preferably with banking experience). The role requires a seasoned, holistic professional with considerable business acumen and understanding of the organization and industry, gained from a track record of 10+ years in advisory roles, who is capable of providing insights and guidance to the executives.
Knowledge Centre: The role requires an experienced professional with a sound understanding of local, regional and international economic forces gained through research and insights gained in key strategic roles
Journalistic Writing and Editing: must have the ability to write high quality material that is accurate, comprehensible and grammatically correct.
Financial Acumen: must have knowledge and understanding of costing, budgeting and finance cincepts and the understanding and application of related processes and procedures, with minimla supervision, able to provide technical guidance when required
Interpreting Data: Able to interpret data accurately with an emphasis on the processing and interpretation of numbers, including the utilisation of technology.
Providing Insights: Ability to provide insights with regards to aspects that are likely yo have an impact on the organization
Presentation skills: Ability to prepare presentations on powerpoint.
Communication skills: Produce communications and speeches for the Chief Executive, ensuring relevance and quality. It is required that any communication or speech is ready for immediate use by the Chief Executive.