Position: Biomedical Engineer (1 post)
Reports to: Project PI
Work station: Dar es Salaam
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for a Biomedical Engineer to support The Newborn Essential Solutions and Technologies (NEST) program which aims at implementing comprehensive newborn care through innovative lifesaving technologies, the provision of both technical and clinical capacity-building, implementation of clinical and technical educational programs and the building of a sustainable distribution network. The Biomedical engineer will be responsible for leading all engineering maintenance and coordination initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Management of equipment installation and maintenance (with local distributor, if pertinent)
- Assist in identification of a maintenance point person at each installation
- Assist in acquiring a maintenance space/workshop at each
- Communicate routinely with distributor & installation sites to ensure implementation is taking
- With support from the RICE NEST Biomed Tech Training Director, lead all engineering maintenance & coordination initiatives, including:
- Coordination of installation & user training for NEST equipment in programme-supported
- Tracking installed equipment and status, including maintenance & repair history and
- Development and monitoring of preventive and corrective maintenance, tool management and requisition and supply and equipment inventory systems.
- Coordination and conduction of user and technician trainings and installations at all
- Coordination of repair and maintenance of all installed equipment as
- Develop recommendation plan for preventive maintenance on team, user and installation site responsibility levels.
- Perform quality improvement/periodic field visits to ensure the quality of equipment care and monitor progress.
- Brainstorm needs within nursery and training institution installation sites, including but not limited to: equipment design, nursery infrastructure and layout and renewable
- Participate in manufacturer-led trainings in service and repair when necessary; may require
2. Ministry of Health engagement and facilitation
- Assist in development of job aids, videos & training curriculum for MOH technical and clinical
- Support in development and implementation of a maintenance supportive supervision program and coordination of program
- Develop strategies to increase maintenance staff uptake of equipment
3. Communication and Reporting
- Immediately provide feedback to project leadership following installations, user trainings or maintenance visits with pertinent information (e.g., numbers of users and technicians trained, maintenance, design and repair issues).
- Provide support in compiling and reviewing high quality reports to donors and program management in a timely
- Keep abreast of developments in grant/program changes and progress in order to advise and recommend tools and strategies to increase program performances and
- Review and analyse field reports to identify the causes of potential bottlenecks in program implementation and use data for decision making and action.
- Serve as a liaison between the NEST program and Ministry of Health (particularly within the equipment maintenance and/or procurement units), engineering accreditation bodies and training institutions for the communication of program plans, activities, data and
- Ensure that donor, partners and senior management engineering and maintenance queries are addressed in an accurate and timely
- Participate/advice on data analysis, report writing and
- Undertake any other duties as requested by the Principal
Qualification and Experience
- Degree in engineering or other related
- Post-graduates are highly encouraged to
- Two to four (2-4) years of experience in engineering in the health or development field.
Skills and Competencies
- Proven skills in engineering, including experience with multi-site programs, and hospital-related maintenance particularly with regards to neonatal
- Strong skills in engineering and design software, including Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, Labview, Solidworks, AutoCad, Matlab, Ansys, etc.
- Basic knowledge of qualitative and quantitative data collection, management and analysis using packages such as Tableau, SPSS, STATA, Excel, RedCap, etc. will be an added
- Ability on data interpretation, report-writing and presentation
- Ability to work in a team environment, including ability to coordinate effectively with diverse individuals and stakeholders to achieve results.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to travel extensively in-country and out of country as
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should email their application letters along with their detailed CVs showing contact addresses, including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
All e-mail application subject lines should include the name of the position: BIOMEDICAL ENGINEER – NEST360. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Email: [email protected]
The deadline for receiving applications is 17:00 hours on Friday April 30th 2021.