JOB TITLE: Agronomy Manager/Plant Breeder
- CVPeople Tanzania | Full time
- Dar es salaam ,
- Tanzania |
- Posted on 11/02/2020
- Lead, coordinate, support/sustain targeted improvements within breeding and research programs.
- Engage at the field level with data collection and trial management.
- Ability to coordinate a research team in the proper design and execution of research to advance company goals.
- Apply improved trial designs and analyses, as well as assist with trial management to increase quality while reducing costs of generating trial data.
- Support development of curriculum for grower education meetings – promoting Good Agricultural Practices adoption, use of improved clones, and modernizing production systems.
- Develop company targets and goals for breeding projects and research trials. Propose list of lines for conversion with traits to introgress.
- Set up disciplined processes to follow selection of parental germplasm, in a targeted manner, as well as identify and implement ways to overcome resource, logistical, and biological constraints to shorten the breeding cycle time and increase the accuracy of data prior to selection of parents.
- Identify ways to optimize selection intensity, perhaps by testing more lines or by selecting fewer (more elite) parents.
- Advise on and adjust selection intensities, ensuring alignment with selection accuracy.
- Introduce improved data management systems which may require moving all breeding data to a professional data management system.
- MSc or Ph.D. in Plant Breeding / Agronomy with more than 4 years of relevant breeding experience post graduate school.
- An excellent knowledge of agronomic research methods and breeding with practical work experience in industry programs and an interest in or understanding of advanced methods .Expert knowledge of design and management of agricultural trials, and statistical analysis.
- Good reporting and communication skills in English (working language).
- Ability to speak Swahili (preferred).
- Experience with mechanized, modern agricultural practices preferred.
- A team player with strong interpersonal communication skills, able to work in a multicultural environment, with excellent leadership and people management skills.
- Good organization skills and an understanding of the importance of planning and supporting all company agricultural initiatives.
- Experience in teaching and a deep interest in staff development, both in technical and non-technical areas.