Created in 1998, the L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science International Awards recognize and support eminent women in science throughout the world. Each year, five Laureates are recognized for their contributions to the advancement of science, in Life and Environmental Sciences or Physical Sciences, Mathematics and Computer Science in alternating years. The 2022 edition of the Awards will designate five outstanding scientific researchers in the field of Life and Environmental Sciences, working in the following regions:
- Africa & the Arab States
- Asia and the Pacific
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- North America
The candidate must:
- Be recognized for her scientific excellence by the international scientific community
- ,Be actively involved in scientific research,
- Work in any field of the Life and Environmental Sciences
- One candidate will be selected for each of the five regions, the determining factor being the place of work for at least 5 years, not the nationality of the candidate.
- Each of the five Laureates will receive an Award of €100,000
2022 L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science International Awards Selection Criteria
The selection criteria of the candidates are the following:
- The candidate’s outstanding contribution to the general advancement of science,
- The impact of the candidate’s research on the current state of the relevant scientific field (number, quality and impact of publications, conference presentations, patents),
- The recognition of the candidate by peers within her discipline through publications,
-The recognition of the candidate’s commitments to education, teaching activities, mentoring and/or
to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals more broadly.
The L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science Awards are non-renewable.
Scientists around the world are invited to nominate candidates for the L’Oréal-UNESCO
For Women in Science International Awards.
To be considered eligible for an Award, it is necessary to be nominated in writing by an eminent scientist. Self-nominations are not eligible, nor nominations from immediate family members.
Teams are not eligible for nomination. Qualified nominators may be:
➢ Heads of University or Scientific Institutions,
➢ Members of Academies of Science,
➢ Holders of Research Chairs,
➢ Full professors
➢ Past For Women in Science Award Laureates,
➢ or at a minimum holders of a PhD in Science.
Application Deadline: May 31st 2021
For More details: