20 PhD Scholarships Opportunities SUA. The College of Forestry, Wildlife and Tourism of the Sokoine University of Agriculture, is coordinating a regional research school in forest sciences (REFOREST) Programme (financed by Sida). Under the programme the College is announcing calls for applicants for PhD scholarships in Forestry.
Read Also:- SUA Almanac 2020 From June To December
The PhD programme is organized in partnership with Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences – SLU (Sweden), Eduardo Mondlane University (Mozambique), National University of Rwanda (Rwanda), Wondo Genet College of Foresty and Natural Resources (Hawassa University -Ethiopia) and Makerere University (Uganda). Applicants must hold a Master’s degree in forestry or allied sciences. Eligible candidates will be citizens of Ethiopia, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania or Uganda. Successful applicants will be admitted and registered at Sokoine University of Agriculture.
The Programme comprises one year of course work and three years of research and thesis writing. Students are encouraged to carry out the PhD research in their home countries. The PhD students will be supervised by a joint team of senior academics from the College of Forestry, Wildlife and Tourism, SLU and home university. The sponsorship covers a maximum of four years, and will commence in October, 2020.
20 PhD Scholarships Opportunities SUA
Students will undertake research in one of the following thematic areas:
- Commercial forestry and bio-economy – tree growing as business, tree improvement and silviculture, forest health and protection, forest products development, marketing, forest products value chains, sustainable forest management;
- Natural forests management – Ecological and socio-economic aspects, biodiversity conservation, bio-energy, climate change, REDD+, Payment for Ecosystem Services, forest land policy and ownership as well as forest-land-water relations; and
- Agroforestry, forest-agriculture interactions and synergies, and conflict management.
Cross-cutting areas for all the themes include gender, policy, livelihoods, forest governance, forest
sector modeling, environmental and economic sustainability. Particular attention are placed on
areas requiring more interdisciplinary research approaches, e.g. climate-forest issues, land use
conflicts, market system analyses, poverty alleviation potentials of various forest/tree products and services, economic/social/ecological aspects of forestry, food and nutrition security.
Read Also:- How To Become CRDB WAKALA
How to apply
Submit a letter indicating the theme of interest (Theme 1, 2 or 3 above), and attach the following:
- research concept note of maximum 2,000 words (covering introduction, knowledge gap(s), research objectives, research methodology and expected outcomes)
- endorsed copies of certificates and academic transcripts
- your Curriculum Vitae and
- names of two academic referees.
Send your application electronically to [email protected]. Deadline for application is 2nd July 2020 at 15.30 East Africa Time (EAT).
For further clarification, contact Programme Coordinator at E-mail: [email protected]. Short-listed candidates will be notified by 1st August, 2020, and where applicable they will be required to improve their concept note.
Subsequently they will all be required to present themselves for an interview session conducted
on 17th and 18th August, 2020 at their respective partner universities. Successful scholarship candidates will apply for PhD admission at Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA)
ISSUED BY COORDINATOR REFOREST PROGRAMME CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD PDF PhD Scholarships SUA